Those small hive beetle traps (SHB) will allow you to capture this pest in your bee colonies, and confirm its presence. It is important to note that in Quebec it is mandatory to notify the veterinarian responsible for bee health at MAPAQ if you identify SHB in your colonies. These traps, although they are effective and simple to use, they should be seen more as a sentinel to detect SHB than a complete method to control them.
Characteristics of these traps :
- pack of 10 units
- in plastic
- 23cm long x 3.5cm deep
- the small holes allow SHB to go through but not the bees
How to use these traps?
- Place 2 per colonies
- Install them in the highest super of the hive (brood or honey)
- Install one between frames 1 and 2, and the other between frames 9 and 10
- Fill each trap with about 25 ml of vegetable oil
- Check the traps after 7-10 days
*** CAUTION, very strong colonies may remove the traps from the hive.
About the small beehive beetle - Aethina tumida
It is an insect native to South Africa. It was introduced in North America in 1996. The adult is dark brown to black. It is 5.5 to 5.7mm long. SHB does not directly attack the bee. The female lays hundreds of eggs in the hive. The larvae will cause the main damages. They will devour the honey, the pollen, the brood. Honey ferments (and gives off a rotten orange smell) from the larval droppings that contaminate the honeycombs.
What I do if I capture what I believe to be a SHB in a trap?
- Keep it for identification
- In Quebec, contact the MAPAQ veterinarian in charge of the bee health sector → IMPORTANT
For more information on the small hive beetle, we recommend that you visit the MAPAQ website :
Made in China
Small hive beetle traps (10 units)
- Product Code: PP10
- Availability: In Stock